Saturday, August 22, 2009

Training to Walk a Marathon

I'd like to walk the Honolulu marathon in the beginning of December, and this week I TRIED to get myself started on a training schedule in order to prepare myself for the event. I went onto the Avon three-day breast cancer walk-a-thon and downloaded a couple of training schedules. I decided to get started on the 16 week training schedule.

Last week I attempted the week one schedule, which is:

Monday: Day off or 15 minute walk
Tuesday: Brisk 3 mile walk
Wednesday: Cross-train 20-30 minutes
Thursday: Moderate 3 mile walk
Friday: Cross-train 20-30 minutes
Saturday: Endurance 3 mile walk
Sunday: Endurance 3 mile walk

The idea is that trainees will work once a week on their speed during the brisk walk. The moderate walk is basically for conditioning and cardio. The two endurance walks train walkers to walk long distances and will progressively increase in miles each week. The reason why there is rest or a light walk on Monday is in order for rest and recovery from the endurance walks on the weekend.

How Did I Do This Week?
I walked two miles on Tuesday, which was very hard to do because I had been on my feet all day during a presentation for teachers and I hadn't slept well the night before. I probably could have walked a bit longer, but it was very dark outside and I couldn't see very well.

Unfortunately I didn't do any cross-training on Wednesday or Friday because I didn't know WHAT to do, and I was also very tired from my presentation and very long work hours during the week. The next time I have a presentation that lasts a couple of days, maybe I will walk in the morning because I am often too tired to do it after work or I get home when it is already dark. Next week I am going to try to go to yoga class for my cross-training sessions.

Today I walked a little less than 3 miles, primarily because I walked at 9:00 at night and my boyfriend didn't want to walk another ten minutes to complete the 3 miles.

Tomorrow we are going to walk 90 minutes as we have been doing for the past three Sundays, which might be more than 3 miles. I am going to pull back on the power walking that I have been doing during the other weeks because the speed and the distance during the 90 minutes have literally knocked me out for the rest of the day. Literally.

Week two of the training schedule suggests that I walk the same amount of miles on Tuesday and Thursday, as well as cross-train for the same amount of time on Wednesday and Friday. The week two schedule also calls for 4 miles on both Saturday and Sunday. So the only real difference is an extra mile on each day during the weekend.

So, this week I am going to try to walk both days during the week and do the cross-training through yoga. I will wait until Saturday to determine whether or not I want to stay with the week one training schedule for another week, or if I feel ready to move to week two.

One major reflection that I have is that it is easier for me to walk when I have someone to walk with. Fortunately my boyfriend has been walking with me on the weekends, but I am going to either have to train myself to walk alone on the weekdays or find another walking buddy.

Wish me luck for the training schedule this week!
walking, marathon walking, marathon training, walk for health, weight loss, women's health

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin