Sunday, August 30, 2009

Another Wake Up Call

I blogged a couple posts ago that one of my co-workers suddenly passed away from what they presume to be a heart attack.

I just found out today that a close friend of a friend died in her sleep last night. We haven't heard yet why she died, but we know that it had something to do with her being very overweight. She has been morbidly obese for years, and her heart must have just gone out on her.

It's very sad-she is a mother to five children and wife to a wonderful husband. She ran a non-profit organization devoted to working with Latino and African American children in order to put an end to the racial violence that has been going on between the two groups in many urban school systems in California. She was such a wonderful and loving woman.

It's just another wake up call for me to get my butt in gear and get headed on the right track. The two women who I have known who have passed away in the past two weeks have both been overweight.

This is yet another reality check that obesity can wreck havoc on your health and can lead to your death.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw your comment over at Single Mom Survives and I had to come check out your blog because I thought we might have a lot in common (I'm a child of divorce too).

    I love your concept. I really need to get exercising again myself. A really good friend of mine had a heart attack that almost killed him and he's only 41! It *is* a wake up call. Cardio, here I come! Maybe reading here will help motivate me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement! I checked out your blog, and you are absolutely correct-we do have a lot in common! I am looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel. When I almost died in February it was a wake-up call for me. Now I have lost over 80 pounds and I am well on my way to living a happier and healthier lifestyle. I wrote an article about it called Miracles Happen Everyday you can find it here http://oldmanblurtsout.today.com/2009/08/29/miracles-happen-every-day/ if you would like to take a look. Good luck to you on your continued success. Take Care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll head over there and check it out, Brian!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin