Friday, August 21, 2009

The Elusive Quest for Energy

"They" always say that the best way to raise your energy levels is through exercise. So they say. I'd like to know when I am going to see that day because it has yet to happen to me. Sure, if I go for a walk I might get a little burst of energy afterward but the effects usually last a short time. I haven't yet started to feel as if I have more energy throughout the entire day.

Other people say that eating and sleeping well will give you more energy. Well, so far it's not working for me. Maybe I am not eating the so-called energy foods and I am definitely not sleeping as much as I should. So maybe that's my problem.

At the risk of sounding like a drug addict, I'll admit that I have a major caffeine addiction. So major that it is actually quite unhealthy. There are times when I drink coffee or tea multiple times throughout the day just to keep myself going. There have even been times that I have popped a caffeine filled excedrin (i.e., a pain reliever) just to give myself a little burst of energy. I just did that five minutes ago, to be perfectly honest. I told you that I would sound like a drug addict, right?

I actually tend to pop excedrin quite often. It just seems so much more easier than drinking a whole cup of coffee and it gives me an instant pick-me-up. I know it's unhealthy. I know that I shouldn't do it. I feel guilty every time that I do it and I promise that it is just this one last time, and yet I end up doing it again. And then when I end up having an actual migraine I have to take triple the amount of it because my body has already probably built up a tolerance to it.

Please don't lecture me, because I know that it is wrong. My secretary and clerk have already caught onto my little act and once hid the bottle that I used to keep on my desk. Now I'm only "allowed" to bring it to work once a month if I have cramps-and just for one day, or I listen to their incessant lecturing. I finally admitted this to my boyfriend last week after he commented that he thought I might take too much excedrin, and now I am admitting it to YOU.

It's time for me to move beyond this and find alternative ways to increase my energy levels. I know that I can drink a red bull or take some sort of energy drink, but I don't want to. I want to raise my energy level the right way, the natural way, the ...healthy way. So how the hell can it be done?

I've been doing my walking and yet-no more energy. In fact, there are times that the walk actually tires me out to the extent that I am literally knocked out and have to take a nap. I suppose that I can eat a little better and sleep a bit more, and maybe that will help solve the problem. So, in the meantime, I am going to try to keep up my walking, commit to sleeping a minimum of seven hours (yes, I know I might need more but I've got to start slowly) for an entire week, and I am going to increase the "energy foods" (whatever they happen to be).

Wish me luck. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin